Thursday, June 9, 2016

Remembering Joe

My dearest friend Helen asked me to make a small quilt using her late husbands shirts.  This was such a special request so I looked around for just the right design.  Sandra led me to Bonnie Hunter's Scrappy Majestic Mountains design.  (It's FREE on quiltville.com)


I started off by taking apart each of the shirts to get yardage.  I was so surprised by how much fabric one can get from shirts.  Sandra had a good background fabric to use in her stash.  Once the blocks were sewn together the dilemma came in selecting the right arrangement.  Which one do you like?
Diamonds
Zig Zag Mountains
Jagged
I decided on the Zig Zag Mountains, but made the blocks more scattered then in pairs. A red border was added to complete it.  I just know she's going to love it!

This wasn't a request, but I put together this block that will be framed.  It may be around a bit longer than the quilt since the shirts were such loving worn.  I'm thinking about a black frame.  The log cabin signifies "home" and the red center signifies "the heart".

Until next time, be safe and kind to everyone.




1 comment:

  1. Wonderful job on the memory quilt, Betty!
    And I really like the idea of the framed block from leftovers. Very smart!

    ReplyDelete